Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Larkin’s Party Decor

On to Larkin’s Party.  I knew I wanted to do a vintage, girly theme…with a little bit of dolls added in.   Let me show you the decorations.

This was the favors table.  The moses basket was mine from my childhood…got it from Santa one year with my american girl doll (but the company wasn’t called that yet).  Anyway, it was wicker colored moses basket with a light blue ribbon and light blue baby bedding.  I painted the basket white and added a pink ribbon.  I will be making bedding for it later…just haven’t gotten there yet!  The basket held the favors…which were bags filled with party popcorn (YUMMY).IMG_1101IMG_1102The food table…before food.  I made the topiary in the center.  LOVE how it turned out!IMG_1103IMG_1104Dessert table…before the desserts were there.IMG_1105Banner and paintings.  The painting of the hat was done by Campbell…I added the ribbon.  The cake painting was painted by Trigger.  I LOVE how they turned out!!!  And I made the banner.IMG_1106These letters turned out better than I had hoped.  The lighting isn’t good here but they were cheap cardboard letters from hobby lobby…painted them white and then added a glaze to make them look old and like they were made of wood.  Wish I had a better picture.IMG_1110Of course I had a to do a photo timeline.  I don’t do the one picture a month thing because I just can’t pick only 12.  From the chandeliers, I had pompons and doilies hanging.  IMG_1112Sorry…I interrupt the décor pics to show you the birthday girl. Love her!IMG_1115Party morning.  Food is prepared…I chose to do light food because we had the party at 10am…and because it is a dainty girl party…Let me just share the menu: Mrs. Haworth’s cucumber sandwiches, turkey/ham sandwiches, spinach dip, corn dip, english pea salad, fruit, and party popcorn.IMG_1116The dessert table…okay.  So that cake in the middle is Larkins smash cake.  The mason jars are everyone else’s cake.  Let’s just start with the fact that I ALWAYS come up with these hairbrain ideas that take an impossibly long time…THIS WAS ONE OF THOSE IDEAS!  Liz and I made semi-homemade strawberry cake ALL DAY FRIDAY.  It’s Matt’s moms recipe and is sooo good.  Well, I say it is good.  I actually do not like the homemade icing that is from the devil to make.  it tastes like teeth impressions to me…I have had too many impressions and hated each and everyone of them.  Anyway, everyone else always raves about this cake though.  Liz and I made the cakes in 9x13 and then cut out circles and carefully dropped them down into the mason jars…and used my icing bags to put icing in the middle and on top.  Then topped it with a slice of real strawberry.  THEN, after I closed it all up, we tied pink felt with the fabric rosettes (that I also made…I know…I know…I AM TRULY STUPID).  It did turn out really cute though.  I have to confess that part of the reason that I decided to do desserts in a jar is because I knew I wanted a strawberry cake (because it’s pink) and this particular cake is AWFUL to make.  It's truly the most hideous cake.  More than half of the time that I make it, the center completely caves after I have iced it.  It’s a very moist cake and very heavy icing.  Anyway, I knew that if it were in mason jars, it wouldn’t really matter what it looked like!  IMG_1117Moving on…See Larkin’s birthday hat…I made it too…FAIL!  It looks okay from the front but looks pretty hideous from the back.  I just waited too late to order one.  And, honestly, I am glad I didn’t spend the money because she OF COURSE didn’t wear it. IMG_1118

So, I am sure everyone is thinking…oh well, it must be nice to be a stay at home mom and be able to do all of these things.  Well, I am sure it would be nice if your children were over the age of four and in school.  But, mine are not…so I did none of this during the day (except the day of cooking the friday before the party).  I worked on this dang party for a month-month and a half…I would put kids down and get busy making all of this junk.  I did not go to bed before 1230 for almost the entire month.  I know it’s stupid…I love it and I hate it.   I put all this pressure on myself.  I did big décor for both of the boys first birthday parties so I really had to just the same for Larkins.  Next year, though, I’m sad to say that it just might not be this way.  They all got a overworked/highly decorated first birthday.  That’s it.  I’m done with first birthdays…and this is one thing that I am not sad about.  ;)

oh I almost forgot…I made this for our front door. I love how it turned out!

photo (4)

No comments: