Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I can't make this stuff up!

Ok. I'm going to try to make this quick bc I've got to feed Larkin and then give breathing treatments.
I have been pretty stressed with the "hovering over Larkin". I have counted respirations, assessed larkins rib cage to look for retractions, pinched her fingernails to check oxygen levels, etc. too many times over the last few days. Sunday I heard some sound coming from Larkin that sounded like wheezing. Matt never heard it and our dr friend said she was fine...and she was at the time. Yesterday (Monday) around 430 (isn't that when it always happens), I started hearing major wheezing sounds. I KNEW that was what I was hearing. But, her respirations were still good and her oxygen level seemed to be okay so we stayed home. Let me just say that I am NOT afraid to take my children to the ER. However, with Larkin being so young, I knew without a doubt that they would admit her. So, we waited it out until our appointment today at 245. I got there around 220 bc her breathing had gotten worse. When we got back to the room, they weighed her. She had lost 1/2 a pound since Friday. I knew that wasn't a good sign. When dr Slusher came in, I had her immediately listen to the wheezing sound and she confirmed that it was definitely wheezing. She said it's not usually heard without a stethoscope so she made us do a breathing treatment to stop the wheezing so she could hear if there was anything in her lungs. After the breathing treatments, she came to listen again and she was still wheezing bad so we did another breathing treatment and headed to get a chest xray. Her wheezing had gotten better and her chest xray was clear. Dr Slusher did do an rsv test. It came back POSITIVE. So, dr Slusher is thinking that Larkin had the flu...while at the dr office or from one of us, she got rsv. It doesn't really matter how. The point is that my sweet, tiny baby has rsv with lots of wheezing. In fact, she's wheezing away right now in my arms. Dr Slusher sent us home to do breathing treatments every three hours around the clock. We will go back tomorrow (Wednesday) at 130 for a recheck. She told us to (once again) watch for signs of resp distress and to take her to the ER tonight If she showed any signs. Sooooo....the stress continues.
Here's my baby getting her first breathing treatment!


I'm kind of thinking that we might need to get another nebulizer so I can have two going at once...Campbell is getting breathing treatments too.
I'm off to feed Larkin, give breathing treatments, and go to bed. The every three hour thing is going to kill me!
Oh and one more thing...just because at this point, it's just humorous. I was running to get the phone tonight. When I was going thru a doorway and turning, I got my wedding band caught on a piece of the door...yep, I couldn't do it again if I tried!!!! And it hurt my finger (made it sore) and bent my wedding rings. I am NOT even joking.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: