Sunday, April 26, 2009

BEWARE...Scary pictures!

Matt has been out of town this weekend on the CORPS retreat. CORPS is a men's group at Temple Baptist. They have a bible study on Wednesday night and do many other acts of service throughout the church and community AND have a little fun along the way. If you are looking for a good group of guys to hang out with and enjoy growing closer to Christ, you should check them out! Anyway, Matt goes on this trip every year and has a BLAST...always comes back very tired because I think the work (or that's what he tells me) and stay up late hanging out! Anyway, the whole reason I posted about this is because I am PETRIFIED of snakes...REALLY!!!! I don't like even the tiniest ones! Well...each year during this time, the snakes are OUT! and Matt is gone and well...NOT A GOOD COMBINATION. Two years ago while my sweet hubby was gone, I had three friends from Shreveport over at my house. They were looking out the front windows and I was explaining how we were in the process of redoing our flower beds (and for some reason, we are still in the process...hmmmm!). One of my friends said, "Garson, what is that moving?" YEP...you guessed it, it was a snake. NOW, let me just say that I had just seen my first real snake (outside of a zoo) in my yard a few weekends before. AND I freaked out...big time. It was maybe (MAYBE) as long as my arm and only the size (MAYBE) of my pinky finger. Soooo...I was a little shocked when I saw this snake in my flower bed. My friends went on the front porch to check it out and of course I went to get my camera for PROOF. I knew, just knew, Matt would not believe me when I told him that we had a HUGE snake in our beds....I have a tendency to blow things up a bit...or so he says! So I needed proof. AND I was right. When I talked to Matt, he said,"It will be fine." I knew what he was thinking...garden snake..get over it..not going to bother you. I called my parents and my brothers and BRAD...don't think any of them understood what I was talking about! BUT I HAD PROOF! I uploaded the pictures and sent them to all of the mentioned people and they were shocked!!! After doing a little research, we found out that it was a spreading atter (I think that's the spelling...don't feel like looking it up). It is a harmless snake. They will spit and the do spread out their jaws (like a cobra- which by the way, I told matt during our first conversation..."Matthew, it looks like a cobra." I think he laughed and said, "Garson, we don't have cobras around here.")! Pretty scary looking. I tell you all of this to say that I have been particularly cautious this weekend...and we have not gone outside except to get in the car (quickly)! Matt's not home yet but I think we are safe.
His name is Peter by the way...and Peter is still out there in those woods I just know it!


2 comments:

Cindy Hockenjos said...

WOW what a snake!!! I have never seen one of those except in a book! Good girl, getting that picture!!
I am up late and reading your blog! Feel special!?!?!?!

Angela Titus said...

Oh do I remember that day. I can not believe I was the idiot on the front porch throwing a stick at it to get it to move. I will never forget your face! I am just glad it was not a cobra but still Peter is one big snake!